Sunday 7 April 2019

Apologia

So what happened? To be honest, various things. First, and most importantly, the boys found an interest in fantasy and sci-fi games.  I thought that they might like skirmish games set in pirate and fantasy settings, but this spiralled into Frostgrave, X-Wing and a couple of other things (in the queue, and at the moment not even out of the box, are "Blood Red Skies" and "7TV", which Hugo picked up at Salute last year; and, I fear, the new "Harry Potter Miniatures Game" has cough Hugo's attention).  That meant that I sent most of last year painting figures for various fantasy/pirate games which I felt I couldn't really post on TQ.  That was a bit daft really, as pirates count as "historical".  Anyway, I really enjoyed working through my Foundry pirates leadpile, adding to the collection with some sculpts from Musketeer Miniatures (now Footsore, I believe) and North Star.  This all expanded into "Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago" - I bought the books and "Nickstarter" stuff, painted up a fair few of the official figures, and even dug out some unpainted/half-painted old Citadel Amazon and Slaan figures that I've had sitting around for 30 years.  Visiting the local pet shop to acquire scenery with the boys was fun, as was making my own palm trees and ruins scenery pieces.  This was all good stuff and I was getting close to a stage where we could start playing F:GA when the second thing happened...     

Last November, Hugo (who is 9) came home from school saying that he was really enjoying "Warhammer Club". I assumed this was some sort of computer game club, particularly given that he said it was all about robots in helicopters fighting spacemen or something like that.  A couple of conversations later I realised he was playing Warhammer 40K, albeit in a very basic way. I dug out a large box of un- and semi-painted Space Marines from my youth and, yes, this was indeed Hugo's new obsession (I had to explain what a Space Marine was - he really did think they were robots; I never worked out the "helicopter" bit).  So since then I’ve been painting GW stuff round the clock - Space Marines and Necrons mostly. And buying relevant gaming mats. And building 4Ground sci-fi scenery. And spending too much time (and money) at GW Chelmsford and on the Element Games website. Again, I didn't think that all this GW tomfoolery was worth posting about; although I realise now that the story of how an historical wargamer pivoted to paint power armour, lightning swords, "Doom Scythes" and worked towards what became his "Warhammer birthday party" in early January with 11 of his friends might have made an interesting series of posts.

The Hawk Lords - Hugo's chosen Space Marine chapter

Thirdly, there have been some practical issues.  Something's wrong with my camera and/or pc and it's proving very difficult to upload photos for posting.  Work and the routine of family life have seemed much busier, which has eaten into my painting time; but the reality, if I'm honest, is that I just lost the habit of blogging towards the end of last year and I realised that I wasn't really missing it.  I found myself taking a rest not just from this blog but from forums and other places I used to visit quite regularly as I felt I'd almost changed hobby.  I think at the back of my mind was a feeling, as noted above, that TQ has always been about horses and muskets, and that fantasy and sci-fi skirmish games wouldn't sit well here.  But I didn't realise how long I'd spent away from historicals, and I can see very little but 40K and Frostgrave for the forseeable future, to be honest.  The reason is simply the chance to do something miniatures-related with the boys; and also because chances for historical games are very rare these days, and at least if I paint figures the boys will actually play with then I feel that what I'm doing has a practical purpose.  Let's face it - most of the historical stuff I've painted over the past 15 years has largely remained in unopened boxes...

My Christmas project -  4Ground sci-fi scenery and 25-year old (at least) Mordian Iron Guard figures. 

One of the games at Hugo's birthday party - "Space Marines of the Caribbean".  One of my aims at Hugo's birthday was to show the boys what "real" scenery and terrain looks like.  There were quite a few "wows" and parents asking where the mats come from.

The other main game was "Assault on Precinct 4P" (that being Hugo's form name).  Necrons v Imperial forces.

So I've actually been very busy since my last post.  Maybe I'll post some photos of the current status of Hugo's "Hawk Lords", Monty's Necrons and, err, my Cadian "Blue Helmets".  Maybe I'll post pics of Foundry's pirates range, pack by pack, if anyone's interested in this sort of stuff.  Maybe I'll even post about the Continental Light Dragoons I painted at the same time as these militia, and then completely forgot about.  And did someone say that the Perries had released some more AWI?  Nah, that can't be right.

I've been making lots of palm tree scenic bases too.

A collection of North Star's Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago metal figures.

I've really enjoyed painting all these old Foundry pirate figures.


Close encounters in the Ghost Archipelago.

There is no feeling like discovering a use for stuff that's been in the leadpile for what must be almost 30 years.  Citadel Amazons from the mid-1980s, sculpted by a certain Alan and Michael Perry (whatever happened to them?)  

Every fantasy game needs a giant ape.

Foundry's "Treasure Island" characters - I see a couple of American militia colonels here...

A pirate type from North Star, with pet dog and pet chimp.



I think the pirate figures are some of the best sculpts Foundry produced.  A very talented chap that Will Hannah.

20 comments:

Fraxinus said...

post whatever you do, I for one love to see well written blogs of everything! My dad painted Airfix with me ...I can still see that whopping Airfix Hercules he made me (and still have it) I also painted A 40K Tyranid army for my son when he went through that phase and loved the break and artistic freedom it provided...so please post, great pics

El Grego said...

No need for an apology! It is good that your are keeping the brushes moving, and teaching the lads a thing or two, especially about proper terrain. It would not surprise me if you were able to convince the boys to play some AWI in the near future, after the miniature gaming hook is firmly set.

Marky Mark Melbourne said...

Welcome back you great man! Your pirates are fantastic and the boy's interests will change and grow, the seeds are planted and their fertile imaginations will do thecrest.....🙌

Kevin said...

Your boys are lucky to have you! Memories they will have all their lives.

Cheers
Kevin

legatus hedlius said...

In some ways I was disappointed my son never got into wargaming but ! can imagine the demands they make on painting time! Ijust find painting relaxing so if that is happening it is all good. And I have just bought into Brigade Games AWI Kickstarter!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I understand about how difficult it is to get historical games these days. I have friend that game historical with about once a month, but he's more into the skirmish games. At the club they sometimes play SAGA, but mostly 40k and fantasy....

Anyhow great that you get to have all that quality time with your boys so it's totally understandable the shift in direction. I think you should post whatever it is that you are doing and your pirates look great! If your boys keep gaming it's likely they will drift into some historical gaming and they sure will have access to a superb collection to get them started!

Christopher

The Tactical Painter said...

Ah yes, that brings back memories, I painted up Space Marines and other assorted GW figures when my oldest was about 12. That was back before GW became more expensive than a gambling and cocaine addiction......

Friends Of General Haig said...

Those Pirate figures look superb! I have been thinking of getting my eldest daughter started with DBA. I'm sure she will like the Carthaginian elephants :-)

David said...

Welcome back, you've been missed. As to Space Marines, well, Matt started with fantasy figures and look where he's got to now! I'm sure you and the boys will have many happy hours whatever the game!

Giles said...

Thanks, Fraxinus!

Giles said...

Thanks, Greg. The boys are pretty fickle at the moment so we'll have to see where this goes.

Giles said...

Hi Mark! Hope all is well. We may be back in your neck of the woods next year - will keep you posted.

Giles said...

Cheers, Kevin. They are still at the stage when they cry every time their figures get hit - hopefully this will improve!

Giles said...

Those are nice figures and you certainly need another period to work on...

Giles said...

Thanks, Christopher. The last historical period I was working on was Napoleon's Egyptian campaign; I certainly want to revisit that in the short-term.

Giles said...

I was talking to other dads at Hugo's party and we were all reminiscing about how in our day you didn't mind spending cash on metal figures, but nowadays you feel a bit cheated spending much more for plastics. How people afford Forgeworld stuff is beyond me.

Giles said...

Thanks, David. I've been following your blog on the quiet - the retirement ideal we all aspire to!!

Giles said...

Yes, anything with animals and monsters helps, I think. Hugo's really into Harry Potter, so any game with wizards and magic works for him.

Marky Mark Melbourne said...

All going great for me and gope the same goes for you. Definitely keep me posted regarding your plans for Oz. Funnily enough I will be in your neck of the woods in the coming months (Sussex) with my wife and boy's visiting her home town of Lewes. I'll get in touch via FB with details as it would be wonderful if we could coordinate a catch up! Speak soon ☺.

Mr T said...

Glad your back, post anything and eveything its your blog :-)