Monday 8 December 2014

American Militia (9)

It's a sign of how far I've fallen behind with things that this unit was painted at the beginning of the year.  It remained unfinished because I couldn't find a flag that fitted the standard bearer.  The pole is cast on and too small for GMB or inded any other commercial flags that I had.  So I needed to paint one up myself and I just never got around to doing so...until last week.  So this unit of American militia stood on my bookcase unfinished for almost a year.  It uses a mix of Foundry and Perry figures, together with one figure from one Conquest Miniatures' "settlers" packs (back row, second from left).  I painted most of the figures years ago (see here) but saved two back as I thought they would fit into larger militia units rather than act as skirmishers.  The smaller size of the Conquest figures makes them a good fit for teenagers - I thought of that scene in "The Patriot" where Heath Ledger interrupts a church service to call out the militia and a couple of boys stand up with their fathers.  There's also a marching figure that is in another unit I'm just finishing off now.

The Perry figures are a mix of "northern" and "southern" packs.  I just wanted to use up all my remaining firing militia figures.  The officer is, I'm pretty sure, modelled on Colonel William Prescott, one of the patriot commanders at Bunker Hill.  He is usually depicted in a long overcoat and a floppy hat, brandishing a sword.  There's a terrific statue of him at the site of the battle (see here for my reminiscences on visiting Boston).  Prescott was 49 at the time of the battle, so may well have been rather thin on top.  He is credited with giving the order "don't shoot until you see the white of their eyes".  He survived the battle and appears to have then commanded a regiment of the Continental line.  The flag is a very simple hand-painted affair - "LIBERTY!" on a white background.

I'm determined to get up to date on this blog by the end of the year.  So, and I appreciate I keep saying this, there will be more regular blogs posts  over the next few weeks.  I certainly have enough material now. 

18 figures. Painted January/February 2014.

 
 
 

10 comments:

Andy McMaster said...

Nice unit Giles. Good to see progress, no matter how slow!

Michael Awdry said...

These look rather splendid Giles, well done Sir.

painterman said...

Lovely Giles - always worth waiting for to see your great AWI growing again.
All the best, Simon.

Moiterei_1984 said...

That's some truly inspiring painting. Good thing sometimes simply take a while...

David said...

Well up to the usual standard Giles!

Rodger said...

Wonderful work Giles!

Simon said...

Very nice Giles, I cut out the flag pole on my Perry figure and replaced it with a brass rod to get a GMB flag to fit.Not sure why this figure has a moulded on pole, not a great choice by the usually fantastic Perry's. The Northern Militia packs are nice figures though.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

As a native New Englander who's been to the statue I think it's safe to say you've dome Col. Prestott proud. While the famous statue depicts him in a round hat, it's quite debatable if he wore that or a tricorn often or even the day of the battle. Still wonderful figure and splendid paint work as always.

Black Powder said...

Great painting on these - love the big bases too. Are these 60x60mm or 75x75mm bases?

Dalauppror said...

Greate loking unit !!!

Alwasy liked the AWI militia