Monday 12 February 2007

Mameluke Ali (and friends)



Over the weekend I worked on the "Napoleon's Household Staff" pack from the Perry 1815 French range. I haven't finished Napoleon's horse yet so the picture above is not of the complete pack. But I thought I would show pics of the figure of Mameluke Ali. Napoleon's more famous Mameluke, Roustam, left Napoleon's service after his first abdication and was replaced by Ali, his assistant. Ali was actually a Frenchman, called Louise Etienne St Denis. The little flask he is carrying contains brandy, which apparently was always on hand for Napoleon. The valet carrying cups of brandy to Napoleon and his marshals is Marchand, who replaced Constant as the Emperor's personal valet after the first abdication. The table in the picture below is from the "Support Staff" pack. Ali's costume is taken from the picture of Roustam in the Osprey book "Napoleon's Imperial Headquarters (1)". I strongly recommend this book and its companion volume for anyone painting all these Perry headquarters pack. I had no idea about the differences between Adjutant-Commandants, Adjoints, Imperial Guard Adjutants and Piquers before I read these books.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello


just registered and put on my todo list


hopefully this is just what im looking for, looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

pretty cool stuff here thank you!!!!!!!