Friday 25 September 2009

ECW Interlude (4)


I've delayed posting about my latest ECW regiment because, frankly, the pics are pretty rubbish. I can't seem to focus properly on figures with lots of pikes and other protrusions - I'm sure there is a depth of field setting on my Canon that I haven't found yet. But here are some photos of Prince Rupert's Foote, the third regiment in my slowly developing Royalist force-ette. I chose this regiment because of its distinctive flags and smart blue coats.



The regiment was raised in 1642 by Sir Thomas Lunsford and was initially named after him. Lunsford was captured at Edgehill and command of the regiment passed to his brother, Sir Henry Lunsford. Sir Henry was killed during the Siege of Bristol in July 1643, at which point Prince Rupert assumed command. The rgeiment fought in Rupert's Lancashire campaigns and took part in the relief of Latham House and the sieges of Bolton and Liverpool. The regiment also fought at Marston Moor. In 1645 the regiment took part in the storming of Leicester and was badly mauled at Naseby. The survivors ended the war as part of the Bristol garrison.


The figures here are all Bicorne and Renegade. I followed information on the Sealed Knot site about blue coats and grey trousers, although I mixed in various other shades for the latter. I decided to move up from 24 to 28 figures because I wanted to have a decent number of pikes - you buy lots of packs of pikemen to have a variety of poses to choose from but then find that you only use 5 or 6 of them in each regiment.


28 figures. Painted July/August 2009. Flags by GMB.




6 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I think they look nice as always Giles and your pictures turned out quite good.I plan on doing this regiment myself someday as I'm will be modeling my army around Prince Rupert at Marston Moor.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Nice figures indeed! Based for Warhammer??

legatus hedlius said...

The flags look brilliant as well; never can get mine looking that animated!

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

These figures remind me a bit of Dixons as far as the facial expressions are concerned. Well painted as always and the shot sure look intent to do harm to the enemy!

Unknown said...

Giles,

Very nice work. What do you use for the finials?

Giles said...

Ken, the finials come from Bicorne Miniatures. You get the poles and the finials, which is handy as most other pikes/spears I have bought are too large to fit the finials.

Steve, the figures are based on a size that Eclaireur and I thought would fit best - so not really for any particular rules as such, although the basing will work for "Forlorn Hope", a set we have been looking at. I having great trouble basing my artillery - I have had 2 guns and crews painted up since June but still not based!