Thursday 17 July 2008

2nd North Carolina



As I mentioned previously, I wanted to paint up two 12-figure battalions in hunting shirts to act as the 1st and 2nd North Carolina Regiments for the "British Grenadier!" Eutaw Springs scenario. This is the second regiment. Whilst the first sported a wide mix of hunting shirt colours, I wanted this unit to be more uniform and be based on brown and beige colours. In this way I was hoping to simulate a supply of uniforms which contained some shirts that had been over-dyed and others that had been under-dyed, or perhaps faded from exposure to the sun. This way the unit retains some uniformity but also has the interest of slightly different colours. Further variety was added by painting some of the equipment belts in white and other belts in black. The rank and file from the 1st and 2nd regiments can be combined with one of the command groups to form a 20-figure unit, so these battalions are quite versatile.


I could not find any information about any flag that was specific to the 2nd North Carolina (and, to be honest, I have no idea whether the soldiers wore hunting shirts or not). I looked in my envelope of flags and found a rattlesnake flag from "Flags for the Lads" which was described (with one other) as being a flag of the 3rd South Carolina Regiment. It seemed more suitable than a standard GMB stars 'n bars, and the rattlesnake motif is fairly neutral anyway. Also, I have no plans to paint the 3rd South Carolina anyway (although I am hoping that either Perry Miniatures or Eureka will release some South Carolina infantry in their peaked caps).


12 figures. Painted June 2008. Flag from "Flags for the Lads".



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

more stunning figures again giles just when will you quit mate !

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Glad to see you back in the painting saddle Giles and your latest batch of figures are lovely. Hope you enjoyed your recent trip.

Best Regards,

Stokes