Sunday 23 December 2007

Neilson's Farm




My model of Neilson's Farm arrived the other day, and here it is. The model was made by Tablescape (see their address in the links section) and I'm very pleased with it; the total cost for the painted model was £30. At the start of the Saratoga campaign, Neilson's Farm formed part of Gates' lines at Bemis Heights. A battery was positioned there and the fortified position was called Neilson's Fort. The building was a bit too removed from the battlefields of Freeman's Farm and Bemis Heights to feature in any refights of those particular engagements, but in design it is representative of the type of farmhouse that was in the area; absent any photos of Freeman's Farm itself, this model of Neilson's Farm will feature prominently in my refights of the first Saratoga battle. The figures are settlers from Conquest Miniatures. You can read more about Neilson's Farm here. Tablescape did an excellent job - I found out the other day that they even contacted the trustess who look after the site and obtained details from some original plans (presumably of the replica house that was built on the site) to double-check the dimensions. The model is also very light; I know Tablescape use light-weight material but this will be dead easy to carry around if the need arises. The same day I received this model I gave the chaps details of a few houses that are still extant on the Brandywine battlefield - those are their next projects!


5 comments:

legatus hedlius said...

Nice! That's a very good £30 worth!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Very nice... is the colour scheme authentic - it looks good..

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Very nice... is the colour scheme authentic - it looks good..

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Good Morning Giles,

That's a very nice piece of scenery you have there. Enjoy using it.

Merry Christmas,

Stokes

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I really like all your buildings,but not the prices.I've starting making my own and I like to use your buildings for inspiration and ideas.Thank you for posting them.I have a question just like the a poster asked.Is that an accurate color for the buildings?I hope so as I like it for a change from brick,stone or white once in awhile.Although,I like the other colors as well.