Sunday 8 September 2024

Queen's Rangers (3)


I'm half-way through my Hessian commanders series, so this is brief interlude on something else.  I first blogged about the Queen's Rangers back in 2007.  The regiment was raised in New York in 1776 by Colonel Robert Rogers, of F&IW fame.  Rogers soon handed over command to a British officer, Colonel French, who in turn was succeeded by Major Wemyss, and in late 1777 the regiment came under the command of Major John Simcoe (who was only 25 at the time).  The regiment was initially organised into 11 companies of around 30 men each, one of which was a highland company.  This was recruited largely from Scottish loyalists in Virginia.  Apparently the highland company was renowned for its discipline and combat skills, so it was often used for guerrilla skirmishing and scouting. A muster roll from February 1780 shows the company commander at that time as one Captain John Mackay (and confirms that the company had a piper, as you'd expect).

These figures are from the Eureka Miniatures French and Indian Wars range.  I bought them ages ago and painted up the 3 skirmishers back in 2005.  I intended the other 4 figures to go on a standard infantry base to add to the rest of the regiment, but for whatever reason never got around to it.  So here is the highland company, in both skirmish and close order.  These are very much "on campaign" figures, with Indian leggings and tomahawks, and Indian braided canteen covers..  I put the Eureka Miniatures highlander officer on my General Burgoyne command base (which, like most command stands, I never blogged about).  I think these figures make a good addition to a Queen's Rangers unit. They do, perhaps, look a bit "F&IW"; but I think the figures work for the loyalists in campaign dress.  The alternative would be to use some of the Perry AWI highlander figures.  Since I bought the Eureka figures the North Star "Muskets & Tomahawks" range has also come out (in early 2020, I think, because I bought the "pre-order" deal and it then got stuck in my work office mail room for the duration of Lockdown).  These are a bit bigger than the Eureka figures.  You have a fair bit of choice now if you want to model the highland company.  Given the company's paper strength was around 30-40 men, you don't need many figures.  I wanted the option of both skirmish and close order.


In terms of scenarios, Brandywine and Monmouth require units of 20 and 22 figures respectively.  The outlier battle is Spencer's Ordinary of June 1781, which appears in volume 2 of the Caliver scenario; I participated in a game of this battle back in 2008 (see report and photos here).  This requires a total of 64 Queen's Ranger infantry figures, including 6 for the highland company (and also 22 cavalry figures, including the dragoon troop).  The highland company is classed as "light infantry" with an "elite" rating. So what I probably should have done was painted 6 highlanders, in two skirmish stands of 3 figures each.  Oh well...that's what happens when you paint and base the figures and only then look at the scenario books!

7 figures.  Painted 2005 and August 2024. 






Talking of the Queen's Rangers, I thought I'd dig out my other skirmishing figures and put them on parade, given that they missed out on their own post earlier.  These figures represent the light and grenadier companies, with some skirmishing riflemen.  These were some of the first AWI figures I painted, right back in 2003; obviously during my "black eyeliner" period! And I'm not the only wargamer painting the Queen's Rangers recently - do check out Lawrence's excellent blog here



  


4 comments:

Lawrence H said...

Great work Giles (and thank you for the shout out). The tartan pattern is especially nice. Beautifully done.

Donnie McGibbon said...

The Rangers look great, nice figures and really well done, the tartan is cracking.

David said...

A splendid body of chaps!

David said...

A splendid body of chaps, old and new!