Friday 30 August 2024

Relaunch

I didn't want to write another "relaunch imminent" post until I knew it was definitely going to happen; by which I mean I'd prepared a number of posts that are ready to go on a variety of periods.  As it happens, the immediate impetus for a return to blogging has been painting more AWI - what better way to restart than by returning to the blog's roots?  That in turn was prompted by a reorganisation of my lead-pile a couple of weeks ago, in which I found all kinds of long lost figures which I decided I wanted to paint.  I then had a few days off, which gave me some time to actually paint those figures and take some photos.  So in terms of forthcoming AWI posts, we currently have a run of Hessian personality/command figures (see left for the first batch; I was having a bit of a "greys" moment when painting the horses), more Queen's Rangers and some Continental command.   

In other historical periods, I see that a number of Paraguayan War and ACW units are missing.  I've just finished some more 1815 French and there are a couple of Carlist War things in the basing process.  And talking of basing, I've been discussing with my US friend Bill Nevins how to do specific basing for New England in "fall" - more on that later.  And talking of Bill, I've been working on an AWI commission for him for far longer than he ever expected, and I'm intending to turbo-charge that by recording my progress here as well.  I spent most of the first half of this year painting various bits and bobs for 7TV - a couple of photos are attached, but I'll take some better ones and will then spend a week or so posting about these figures.  I had great fun painting stuff for a 1920s "The Mummy" game and, more recently, various characters from 1980s films and TV series.  Thinking further back, I spent Lockdown (which still doesn't seem that long ago) largely painting original "Frostgrave" figures, before the War of the Triple Alliance and 7TV took over.

Anyway, let's see where we get to; but I'm really going to try to get this rolling again on a regular basis.  Below is a taste of things to come.







  

8 comments:

David said...

A splendid and very welcome return for one of my favourite blogs! Looking forward eagerly to many new posts!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Looking good Giles and great to see you coming back!

Christopher

Giles said...

Cheers, David; it's good to be back - and you in particular have been an inspiration!

Giles said...

Thanks, Christopher!

David said...

That's very kind of you Giles, much appreciated.

Baron von Wreckedoften said...

Good to see you back in the saddle, G-man!!!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Welcome back!!

Giles said...

Thanks, Steve!