Monday 9 November 2020

Apologia II

After a couple of false starts, I'm determined to make this work.  "Don't let TQ die" said a friend a few weeks ago; and as he was someone whose wargaming, and historical (and indeed more general) judgment I greatly value, I took notice.  Also, I realised that switching off from the online hobby for a good while wasn't something that I'd enjoyed.  It's an odd feeling to describe; I simultaneously felt that I had nothing of value to blog about, yet also knew that blogging about what I'd done would produce a useful sense of achievement.  So I did nothing, and my overall sense of stasis led me to disengage from a lot of wargaming "social media" as well, unfortunately.

Anyway, I've not stopped painting and what I've done over the past couple of years falls into these categories:

- Warhammer 40K;
- Frostgrave;
- Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago;
- Pirates (overlapping a bit with F:GA).

I haven't really posted about any of that.  What I'm now painting, and what I'll concentrate on for the immediate future are:

- Napoleon's Campaign in Egypt;
- War of the Triple Alliance/Paraguayan War;
- First Carlist War;
- American Civil War.    

Those are all Perry Miniatures ranges, other than the ACW, which is a mix of Perry and Dixon - my grand plan is 1861 (First Bull Run) in Perry and 1862 (Jackson's Valley campaign) in Dixon.  We'll see how that goes.  What I really want to do is get all the above periods into a shape where I can put on a game, even if only a small one.  The First Carlist War is well on the way - I just need to paint a lot more Carlists.  I started on the Paraguayan War almost seven years ago and was thrilled when the Perry range came out at the beginning of the year.  I now have 4 completed Paraguayan units and 1.5 Brazilian ones; I'm going to make sure I build up both sides together.  I posted a flurry of ACW back in 2016 (here); I have a growing number of Confederate units but no Feds as yet.  I also never really posted about the Napoleon in Egypt figures that I was painting when my neglect of TQ began a couple of years ago, but I really enjoyed painting the figures and I like the setting.  That seems a good place to start.  AWI?  Well yes, I'll paint some more of that from time to time.

I'll blog about the sci-fi and fantasy stuff from time to time, not least because, even with Lockdown, I find that I just don't have the time to paint as quickly as I used to.  Also, I'm quite pleased with how some of those figures came out.  Monty loves playing with his 40K Necrons; Hugo's a bit over his Space Marines, now that the Warhammer club at school has been stopped due to Covid-19; their father had a blast painting up an Imperial Guard force...



I have a fair bit of historical stuff going through the basing process, so there won't be a rush of posts; but this time they really are coming.  In the meantime, here's a bit of Frostgrave:







8 comments:

David said...

A joy to see you 'back in action'! Looking forward to seeing your ACW troops especially, but all historical offerings are welcome!

Phil Robinson said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere I have started a WTA project, look forward to following your progress on it and your other periods in due course.

airhead said...

Hi Giles, great to see you back in the blogosphere, I’m back myself after a 4 year hiatus. Looking forward to seeing you postings in the future. All the best Airhead

Fire at Will said...

Looking forward to seeing the French in Egypt

Graham W said...

Good to see you back in the “saddle” 👍

For my ACW - moving from Brother Against Brother to F&F Regimental - I have mixed Foundry, Perry and Crusader figures with the odd Dixon to give variety.
Cheers,
Graham W
Mindenbrush

rct75001 said...

I came to your blog just as you stopped posting and have come back periodically. So I am very pleased to see that you have continued with the hobby and will continue posting.

Richard

Willie Anderson said...

Good to see you posting again looking forward to seeing your collection continue to grow.
Best

Willie

Jozi's Tin Man said...

I am very glad to see you back and glad to hear you have been enjoying the hobby.