Sunday 3 December 2017

Update

Sorry - the blog died for a few months.  There are various reasons for that, primarily work being very bad of late; and general disinterest thanks to the Photobucket situation.  I've been exploring Photobucket alternatives, but very slowly, and in fact I received an email from Photobucket last week telling me that my (paid-for) subscription was coming to an end in December and thereafter I'd lose hosting services unless I coughed up the $400 they are now asking for.  That's not going to happen, so I'm afraid some time over the next couple of weeks all the photos on my blog are going to vanish.   It would be easy in these circumstances to simply walk away - I don't know how much time it would take to reconstitute over 500 posts that stretch back over 10 years, and the thought of doing so is highly depressing.  But on reflection, I'll give it a go.

I've now paid for hosting services with Imageshack and the long task of migrating photos and blog links is underway.  Unfortunately there is no chance of this task being completed before the Photobucket photos disappear (not least because I myself disappear to New Zealand in a couple of days' time).  I'm sorry if that causes inconvenience for anyone researching AWI or other units and wants to see some painted examples.  If it's AWI uniform info you're after, I strongly recommend Steve Jones' Black Powder supplement "Rebellion", which contains pretty much everything you'd need to know.  So far, I've posted the AWI Patriot cavalry and many of the earlier French Napoleonic posts - there's no logic behind that, really, and it's a drop in the ocean.  But I have to start somewhere.

So here, by way of a test example with new Imageshack links, are some "wip" photos of various things I've been working on and playing around with.  I've found that, almost subconsciously, I'm been drifting towards games and periods that I think my boys would be interested in.  The pirates are all Foundry figures, and will form a sort of Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago meets Blackbeard sort of game.  So I've fallen badly behind with posting photos of what I've been painting - mainly Napoleon in Egypt things and about 60 pirates (many of which are "touch-up" figures I painted about 25 years ago).  This does mean, however, that I should be able to hit the ground running next year when I return from NZ.  Have a great Christmas everyone.    

All new paints.

Far left a "touch-up"; other two are new paints.

All "touch-ups".

Two are "touch-ups; two are new paints - not saying which! 

The current state of my Napoleon in Egypt project.

What's currently on the workbench; along with skeletons and more pirates...






15 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

Good to see you back on the blog Giles.

Simon said...

Those Pirates are nice. Blood and Plunder is popular at my club, it may be worth a try. I prefer Congo though, so hav3 not played.

Mr T said...

Appreciate all the effort that goes into this, have a great time in New Zealand and see you in the new year :-)

David said...

Welcome back, you and your outstanding work have been missed! On a related point, I renewed my Photobucket account at the end of September and although they tried it on as with others I discovered my account is grandfathered in, as they say, and will be maintained as long as I renew each year. Might that not be the same for you?

Talk Wargaming said...

Hey There !
My name is Joshua Stawiarski Co - Editor Of TalkWargaming.com

Sorry if this message is presented in a spammy way but it’s hard to contact a lot of wargamers properly.

I wanted to inquire about if you would be interested in selling published content you created that is on your website to us over here at talkwargaming.com as we are looking to diversify our content mix from Sci-Fi.

If you are interested or have questions we can go over more details at: editortalkwargaming@gmail.com
Put In The Subject Heading : “ Wargame Creator ”

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Sincerely,
Co - Editor Of talkwargaming.com

legatus hedlius said...

Interesting about your photos. I have no idea who hosts my pictures. I just thought they went into blogger. How can you tell?

painterman said...

The Photobucket strategy is a nightmare - someone needs to held top account, as it undermines customer confidence in internet companies. Hope you manage to save as many as you can. In meantime, have a great Christmas 'down under'.
Simon.

McBeth said...

Hi Giles, where in NZ will you be? I'm in Wellington and part of the Hutt Club. We'd love to meet you if you are over this way! You can email me through the club website, huttclub.co.nz

Simon

Willie Anderson said...

Good to see you back again Giles looking forward to more posts in the new year.

Best
Willie

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your visit Giles
Don't hold back on the wine tasting

Joshua said...

Hi Giles, one of the many that visit your blog without leaving comments etc. I'd just like to say that your work is fantastic and keeps myself focused when I see unpainted piles of figures. Hopefully you'll be able to replace the links etc and well done for giving it a go. Sounds like a big task!

Crazycoote said...

I would echo the thought of one of the posters above - you really should consider giving Blood &Plunder a go. It is a simple skirmish level set of rules (but with surprising depth) and with some pretty nice models (including an increasingly extensive range of ships).

It is short, simple and "piratey" enough to be appealing to the young 'uns, but actually has a huge amount of historical background that has led me into a ton of reading on the 17th century Carribean world.

Think you would love it!!

sandino said...

Can you use www.imgur.com to host images? I don't know the technicalities of it, but I have hosted images on there for reddit - easy to use and free.

Great blog as ever, all the painting on here is excellent.

Captain Nolan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Captain Nolan said...

Thank you for making the effort to save you photos. Your blog provides inspiration for many, and you may not even be aware of the fact. I wish you all th e best and keep the AWI and Napoleonics coming.